Where was I born?

Saturday 18 June 2016

Throwback to last year at my internship by Atlantis Secondary School

This post has been the hardest to write for me by far. In part, the challenge stems from trying to sum up months worth of experiences is just a few paragraphs. Even more challenging, this post marks the end of my internship at Atlantis Secondary School. I can remember those last few days, I have been preparing myself for my departure an internship i really enjoyed.
My internship at Experience has taught me more than I could have imagined. As a Sport Management Intern at a school, I feel my duties were diverse, and ever-changing. Sometimes it’s tough to recall everything I have taken over the past months, but I feel that these are some of the most beneficial lessons I have learned.


What I’ve Learned:
  • I’m not alone: Coming into this position, I felt that I had no idea where my career was going and I lacked confidence about what I could do and what I am really good at. My internship has definitely given me a better understanding of my skill set and where my career may take me, but most importantly, I’ve come to learn that I am not alone. This job has taught me that almost everybody is in my same position. Very few University students know what they want to do, and it is something that is simply not worth worrying about. Thanks to the support i got I now know that if I continue to work hard things will fall into place.
  • To keep dreaming: This was huge for me. I have always enjoyed dreaming, and always felt that I was pretty good at it. Yet, what this position at the school taught me is that I really didn’t have to dream to achieve things but actually make it happen myself. 
  • How to behave in the office and school premises: This being my first position in an office/school atmosphere, I didn’t know exactly what to expect. The environment here at Experience is quite relaxed, yet it taught me how to behave in the workplace. Simply working in the office and getting used to everything here has definitely prepared me for whatever my next position may be. Just observing the everyday events has taught me more about teamwork, and how people can come together to get things done. Although sometimes I have to remind myself to use my inside voice, I feel I’ve adapted to the office life relatively well.
  • How to build my skills: Like I said, this internship has improved my skills a ton, both off paper and on paper. I didn’t realize it all of this time, but this position served not only as a positive learning experience, but a resume builder as well. I came into this with a resume that was basically naked, now I am leaving and I have lots of updating to do. My resume doesn’t need a makeover, it needs to be restarted from scratch, and that’s a good thing! I underestimated how much work I did that actually translates to my resume.

As I close of this post in my blog, I want to everyone who has been reading my blog, and I’d also like to thank everyone at Atlantis Secondary School who helped me out and gave me the advice. That was truly a great learning experience and I’ll be forever indebted to those who gave me a hand there. As far as your internship goes, remember to always be friendly, work hard, and ask questions. Always ask questions. Hopefully you come away from your internship with as much as I did. Thanks everyone, and enjoy your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment