Where was I born?

Saturday 18 June 2016

My love for Newlands Rugby Stadium

Newlands Rugby Staduim As many important historians and people have noted, I, Warren Damons am possibly the worst English person in the world. The love of Rugby is something that is generally built into all Afrikaans-speaking people but somehow, somewhere, I manage to love this game more and more when i attend Newlands Rugby Stadium probably inheriting the passion for the sport.


Basketball,Tennis etc is not something that I despise; I just don’t really get it. I do watch it from time to time with my mates but it is not something I would go out of my way to watch. I’ve only been to Newlands Rugby stadium 4 times before and Wednesday 8 June 2016 was probably my 5th time there and i just cant get enough of this place even if there is no supporters, the vibe of just being there is something i really treasure.

Recently there have been some rumours saying WP Rugby will soon have to move to Cape Town Stadium due to some health and safety issues at Newlands. This has obviously been greeted with some hostility from the Newlands faithful; something I can absolutely understand and respect. The fans claim that this is their home and this is where their passion is. Moving to a new stadium would break the tradition and passion that’s been built up through the years.


What struck me was when I went to Newlands on Saturday 28 May 2016 was that there so much passion from fans myself of course. For most parts of the match, the crowd was up on their feet with cheers.

The Stormers weren’t at their best, due to injuries of course, and apart from the odd big tackle and knock-on the game seemed fairly average. But this was not my biggest problem with my Newlands experience, my main concern was the passion from the fans they have so much as if they will fight with their team to defeat the enemy.

Another part of the stadium i love is when the fans let the opposition know that they have entered Newlands…home of THE STORMERS. Home of South Africa’s most passionate fans. And I think that type of support will go a long way in showing WP Rugby that a move away from Newlands would be a bad idea.


4 comments:

  1. That is a world class stadium brother. I once watched the likes of former Spribgbok captain John smith and Bryan habana play on that ground brother. Legends of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful backdrop champ!

    Sooner rather than later, I want to see you out in the middle making all the calls! Its easy sitting in the stands, next step is you officiating a final on your home ground! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confidence you have in me Brent, I'm sure i will be there soon standing in the middle of that fantastic field

      Delete
  3. Brings back awesome memories lad.Can not wait for our next outing.

    ReplyDelete